Elizabeth Banks: I Thank Birth Control Pills for My Son
Just over a year ago, my son Felix was born via gestational surrogacy. He came out of me nine months early and because of my broken belly, his babycake was baked in a wonderful angel’s oven and now — I can’t believe it — he’s a year old and walking. He has expanded my capacity for joy a thousand-fold.
His life would have been much harder to come by if not for the birth control pill. How’s that, you ask? Well, it’s a simple fact: The pill is used for many situations that have nothing to do with the prevention of pregnancy. The pill was prescribed to me when hormonally induced migraines kept me locked up in dark rooms for days at a time. It was prescribed to me to regulate insanely painful cramps every month — cramps so painful that I often vomited.
And here’s a little secret I am happy to blow the lid off of: The pill is often prescribed during the IVF (in vitro fertilization) process to help MAKE BABIES! That’s right, women dealing with infertility are often put on the pill to help regulate a cycle so that they might have a more successful IVF. The pill is used to manage ovarian cysts, endometriosis and other conditions too. Not to mention, it helps couples plan for wanted children.
Obviously, I’m not a doctor. I’m just a woman grateful for my necessary and very helpful medication. And I’m sure glad I don’t have to discuss any of these conditions, including infertility, with my employer.
A girlfriend and I recently wondered what would be more mortifying: having to tell her male employer she needed birth control to mitigate a heavy flow or just bleeding all over herself in the office?
So with that image in mind, I encourage all women — and the men in their lives — to protect access to birth control, and encourage our politicians to take women’s health issues out of the political process.
For more information, please visit the most comprehensive and willing advocates for women’s health in America: www.plannedparenthood.org.
- shayorial likes this
- tingiling reblogged this from judygrimes
- rainydaysandalibis reblogged this from freebirdmixtapes
- freebirdmixtapes reblogged this from jgaskisanerd
- alphiriel likes this
- zooey-descha-hell-no likes this
- polaroptics reblogged this from jgaskisanerd
- polaroptics likes this
- or-it-malingers reblogged this from jgaskisanerd
- irishbellwherefrecklesdwell reblogged this from jgaskisanerd
- nursesalt reblogged this from jgaskisanerd
- jgaskisanerd reblogged this from deadlyrainbows
- katie-kat9878 likes this
- ramblingsofasortadomesticgoddess likes this
- merryhappyunbirthday reblogged this from vi11ain
- nothingsuiteaboutme likes this
- empanadadepizza likes this
- otterknowbynow reblogged this from whatshouldntbe
- otterknowbynow likes this
- ragingteenageawkwardness reblogged this from tyhyin
- blackvampirecat311 reblogged this from vi11ain
- blackvampirecat311 likes this
- atomsofrocks reblogged this from yuyayunka
- yuyayunka reblogged this from vi11ain
- yuyayunka likes this
- izumisama reblogged this from vi11ain
- vi11ain reblogged this from avictoriangirl
- whatshouldntbe reblogged this from avictoriangirl
- avictoriangirl reblogged this from paintchipped
- haciendarecords reblogged this from citysleep
- haciendarecords likes this
- sourdoughislife likes this
- alicenoise reblogged this from citysleep
- jmdiebold reblogged this from citysleep
- citysleep reblogged this from paintchipped
- spiffyvanspot reblogged this from camillesaurus
- thereand-backagain reblogged this from pointy-earedbastard
- wellnatch likes this
- abigcomplicatedword likes this
- mypupilsdilated likes this
- brightsilenceinthestars reblogged this from wifibowlofsoup
- lizaliveunenchanted likes this
- fondre-mon-coeur reblogged this from paintchipped
- mizuko060 reblogged this from paintchipped
- sciencebluetrenchcoat reblogged this from princessofthedeadsheep
- mcor likes this
- avictoriangirl likes this
- paintchipped reblogged this from pointy-earedbastard
- purplemika reblogged this from meganeotaku15